Sunday, March 30, 2014

3/30 (a): Sabotage (2014)

About three days ago I was laughing out loud upon reading the headlines of the reviews of Arnold Schwarzenegger's latest movie, Sabotage. I don't know offhand who the syndicated columnist was, but in big letters it read something like, 'BAD MOVIE, SCHWARZENEGGER NEEDS TO HANG IT UP'. After seeing the movie last night, I partly agreed.

WARNING: SPOILERS........before I saw the movie, I wasn't familiar with the plot, but I got the idea that it was going to be just another action movie. Sure, it was, but sprinkle in a lot of blood and guts (for real) and some unnecessary toilet jokes, and you got yourself two hours waste of time. The start of the story involves Breach's (Schwarzenegger) team of 'police officers' (actually, an elite DEA task force) stealing at least ten million while taking down a Mexican drug cartel. I already knew this was something stupid when, while stacks of money in front of you would be a thrill, why risk stealing it? They stick it down a sewer pipe and its already gone by the time they get to the other end of it. Next, members of the team get killed-one by one-as suspected homicides, even though this is months after the theft. It's up to the gang to figure out what is going on and who is the bad guy/girl. We also forget what they did wrong in the beginning, as well as what happened to Breach's family before the movie started.

Don't get me wrong...it's great to see Arnold back in the movies, especially after he's still fresh from a long political hiatus. But it seems his days are nothing like 'Terminator', 'Last Action Hero', among others. He's still got his masculinity, and his cigars, but that's about it. I'd check this one out anyway, just to see what all the bad reviews are about. Of course, leave the kids at home, unless you don't want to be a good role model for them...

My rating: 4 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment