Friday, March 28, 2014

03/28: I Love You, Man

At first I thought there would be some Budweiser reference in this movie, since it is probably named after one of its past lines in their commercials. Or it could be a brotherly, or friendly, movie, who knows. I was recommended this movie a few years back when a friend of mine said the band Rush was in it. I wasn't familiar with the main cast members at the time, but so I won't be let out in conversations, I watched it anyway.

Since then, this has been one of my (so called) 'Frat Pack' favorites. It stars Jason Segel, Rashida Jones and Paul Rudd in one of the best comedies of last decade. Jones and Rudd portray Zooey and Peter, who become engaged at the beginning of the film. Zooey has a lot of close girl friends, but Peter has some 'not-so-close' friends to announce his good news to. After trying to reconnect with acquaintances and friend's husbands, Peter gives up. That is until he throws an open house for bodybuilder Lou Ferrigno. He meets Sydney (Segel) and they eventually hit it off quick. Sydney is a very laid-back, fun, rock and rollin' kind of guy who lets Peter see his other side, as opposed to his tense and squeaky-clean lifestyle. Zooey is proud of Peter for finally finding a good friend, but she soon feels left out! Many hilarious things pursue from there.

All in all, a great fun movie. And for a Rush fan like myself, what's there not to like?! Several pop-culture references and jokes complete this film. You also gotta respect Lou Ferrigno for not taking himself too seriously in this one, either. The only damnation this film gets is popularizing the term 'bromance' (a word I definitely cannot stand!).

My rating: 8 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment