Saturday, February 22, 2014

02/22: Super 8

Super 8 sorta confused me, even though it shouldn't have. After all, Steven Spielberg and the 'promising' future Lucas/Spielberg all-in-one man JJ Abrams had a lot to do with this movie, so it should be great, right? Yeah it was, but it took me a while to catch on, as I had to watch it again.

This is not a horror movie, but a straight-up sci-fi flick. A town is invaded by an alien which is attracted to magnetism and cubes (?). That was the part I'm confused about. But, this is Abrams' own fictional story, so I shouldn't knock it that much. Maybe its because the first third of the movie focuses on the young people's drive to be filmmakers. It shows how they all team up to help their friend win a film competition. And it also shows a blooming flirtation between 14-year old Joe and his crush, Alice. Their fathers don't get along as Joe's doesn't think very highly of Alice's dad, who he blames for Joe's mothers death.

But the climax which seemingly happens very early suddenly focuses on a train derailment which is caused by a local science teacher who intentionally tries to block a train, and not to give it away, survives. He knew this was coming. But I'm gonna stop right there. Yes, the movie does go into sudden parts where strange things happen around town, which would typically happen in a horror movie. Except it was not to be this way in Super 8. To each their own, I guess.

If there is one thing to praise, its the time setting. 1982, baby! I was only a baby at that time. They did make everything look so...1982. Except I'm not sure of all songs during that era they had to pick ELO's 'Don't Bring Me Down'?!

My rating: 6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment