Tuesday, February 4, 2014

02/04: Hairspray (2007)

I have never seen the original one from the 80s, but by the time this movie was remade I figured, sure, I'll see the story newly updated. I'm glad I did, since it had a nice story and an all-star cast. This movie continues my theme this month for 'civil rights' movies.

This was supposed to be the film that would break Nikki Blonsky's career. Nikki who? Anyway, she tries to get on Dick Clark's American Bandstand in good ol' 1962. She does eventually get on because of her dance moves and sunny personality, but the completely opposite girl Amber (Brittany Snow) does as well. Her and her mother are not only rich, but arrogant too. They also despise de-segregating the show (while African-Americans were only allowed on 'Negro Day' once a month). Many events happen including love triangles and we do watch people fight for their rights.

As mentioned above, the film has a great diverse cast. Well, you have John Travolta, whose career at the time (and still is) in question, dressed up as a woman playing Blonsky's mother. Also, Amanda Bynes (before she went crazy), Queen Latifah, Michelle Pfeiffer, Christopher Walken, Zac Efron and James Marsden.

Many great dance performances help fill in the cracks in this feelgood movie.

My rating: 6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment