Friday, January 24, 2014

01/24: The Great Gatsby (2013)

Yes, it was a requirement that I were to read the F. Scott Fitzgerald novel in high school. I think my teacher was Ms. Kuehnel. She was very pretty, one of the few teachers that I was attracted to. But it was a challenge to read the book. See, I didn't discover I loved to write until my later years in college. I didn't realize most of my life I didn't like to 'be told' what to write, if it was something I did not care about or it was basically shoved down my throat. But enough about me....

Before I watched this revamped version of the timeless story I made myself aware I did not remember very much what happened. All I know was Gatsby was someone who was mysterious, rich, somewhat powerful and everybody wanted to be him. This time around Leonardo DiCaprio portrayed Jay Gatsby. Former Spidey boy Tobey Maguire plays his neighbor Nick and Carey Mulligan plays their love interest Daisy. I won't reveal much of the storyline mostly because 1) it's a wee bit long and 2) many of you in my generation (20s, 30s, maybe 40s) have read it at some point in your lives. Baz Luhrmann (director) did a tremendous job with this remake and I totally thought the mashup with the Roaring 20s and hip-hop was well done.

It is recommended that everyone see this or at least read it. Perhaps in my spare time I'll try to read it. (Bear with me, I don't like reading fictional stories which is why I prefer movies better....) I have not yet seen the 3-D version of this film as I can definitely imagine what viewing it would be like. All the confetti being tossed at me, woo-hoo.....

My rating: 7 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment