Saturday, January 18, 2014

01/18: Betsy's Wedding

This is probably my first negative review post. I was little when Betsy's Wedding came out in the early 90s, and I thought the previews were funny. If the movie was rated R, I wasn't allowed to see it or watch it, so needless to say my parents said NO. It wasn't until more than 20 years later I got around to watching it, and now I know why it wasn't a hit. Back then, the only star in the movie I was familiar with was Alan Alda, who of course was from MASH. I didn't know anything about Joe Pesci or Molly Ringwald at the time.

So yeah, I was very disappointed. It's no wonder at my local store (Slackers CDs and Games) had this Blu-ray for $3. But I'm willing to watch any movie with an open mind so I did. The disc, by the way, had zero special features. I ended up donating it to my local library.

Betsy's Wedding is one of those movies that has a great cast. I wouldn't say 'all-star' but at the time this movie came out it did have some well-known actors and actresses. Besides the 3 mentioned above, you also had Catherine O'Hara, Ally Sheedy (reunited with her ol' Breakfast Club castmate) and the late Madeline Kahn. The story, or script, went absolutely nowhere. The plot was Eddie Hopper (Alda) was trying to impress the groom-to-be's parents by putting on an extravagant wedding for his daughter. Of course, Eddie has problems of his own besides his financial situation. He gets involved with his twisted brother-in-law's scheme. And the story just isn't all there.

I'm not sure if its the actors who didn't seem very focused or very enthused in doing this movie. I may just blame it on that.

My rating: 3 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment