Thursday, January 23, 2014

01/23: Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me

I just got done watching the Austin Powers trilogy again and as I may have mentioned before, I do make it a priority to watch those movies at least every other year. I now have them on UV, so I got to stream them for a change. Today's movie is one of the few that I've seen at the theater more than once (in 1999, as I was entering my final year of high school). It always bring back memories every time I watch it. And at the time, I was really getting into Austin Powers, so it was well fitting.

I don't remember where I read it but it is said this sequel made more money on opening night than the entire theater run than the first Austin Powers. And I believe it. We all know that Austin Powers, based on one of Mike Myer's homemade characters, was not an overnight sensation as it became more popular through video rentals (ah memories!). So needless to say, this movie came at the right place, right time and it was easily one of the top moneymakers of 1999.

And now the movie: Hey, I loved it. It brought back old and introduced new jokes and gags which would continue on with the third one. Who could also forget the new characters? We all knew we had to dig Felicity Shagwell and Fat Bastard. Dr. Evil continues his quest (after he is thawed again) to get (not kill) Austin Powers. But this time around he is after Austin's 'mojo', said slowly. Austin's self-confidence is challenged through this movie, as well as his love life with his newfound love interest (Heather Graham). The 60s stuff as well as the cool psychedelic soundtrack also continues in this movie as you will see it all through the movie. And of course, the taglines, 'oh behave', 'shag', etc.

Like I said, this is one of my all-time favorite film trilogies. So I easily give it a....

My rating: 8 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment