Tuesday, January 14, 2014

01/14: Magic Mike

Alright, I'll be man enough to admit this: I did watch Magic Mike. Yeah, it's mostly a movie for the ladies, and that's what a lot of people believe that was the main intention. They all want to see Channing Tatum strip and topless and whatever. I watched it for the first time yesterday. And I was moved. About a year ago, I remember randomly talking to this couple at a bar and they both saw Magic Mike. I was like, 'Really...' to the guy. He said, 'I don't give a f***, because I thought it was a really good movie. It's the story that grabbed me'.

I can't help but agree with him. He explained to me the plot, and it sounded like a parallel between that and Saturday Night Fever. As mentioned above, I finally got down to watching it, and I felt it to be a very personal movie. The characters of Mike and Tony Manero similar in several ways. Both are guys that are concerned for their futures and want more out of life. Both are the star attractions on the weekends. Both hang out/work at clubs. Both are awaken by a sudden love interest. Both are surrounded by people they don't want to be around most of the time. Both have crummy day jobs. There's a few more, but I hope you get the idea.

Mike suddenly becomes best friends with Adam, whose friendship starts out awkwardly. Mike eventually becomes infatuated with Adam's sister, Brooke, who he was living with. Brooke has an on-again, off-again relationship with Ryan, while Mike tries to make things go well with Joanna, who he meets at the strip club. Mike does quite well at times mentoring Adam as he finally gives him a full-time job stripping at the club. That's all I gotta say, because you really got to watch the rest. One big difference between Magic Mike and SNF is they are set in two completely different places, Tampa and New York City, respectively.

Throughout the movie, Mike worries about his future. Like most people, he feels insecure and trapped. He's only open about it to select people, of course Brooke being one of them. I really do like this movie because I'm all for films with a 'personal' and realistic storyline.

Definitely recommended. It's not hard to put aside all the stripping sequences. 

My rating: 8 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment