Monday, April 28, 2014

04/28 (b): The Wedding Singer

The other 'wedding' movie I wanted to review today is another one of my favorites that I make a priority to watch every year. Maybe I'm just a sucker for romantic comedy, who knows. This is the first pairing of Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore. Barrymore, who was previously known at the time for her role on E.T. and her youth drug/alcohol problems, made a great comeback with this film and proved she can carry her legendary family's Hollywood tradition.

Sandler plays wanna-be rockstar Robbie Hart, who sings at weddings on the weekend (for $50 a pop) while people are eating prime rib. He's engaged to Linda, who then leaves him at the altar, thus shattering his hopes on women and his life. He meets Julia (Barrymore), who's the new waitress at the hall he plays at. She is also engaged, to a rich guy who works in bonds in the city. Robbie, still trying to get over Linda, helps Julia with the plans for her wedding. But things do change....

What makes this movie fun is the time setting: it's set in 1985! It's sure to bring any 80s lover like myself joy. The pop culture, and all. But sometimes I do wonder, without all that and if it were set in present day, would the movie be dull? I've still got to figure that out. The movie came out 16 years ago, so now there would have to be one focusing on any of the late 90s/early 00s year! Makes me feel old in such a way. I'll admit it, and I'm sure people would agree with me here: 80s nostalgia is more fun than anything, especially if you're bringing it back in a new picture.

Adam Sandler, who put out corny movies (and still does today) yet funny ones, puts on a great performance as the nice guy who wants more. Critics haven't been kind to his films throughout his career in the last 20 years. Sandler's role does go a little crazy, but he does do it very well and this was arguably the first where he proves he's a great actor. The movie can be taken seriously at times! Drew was great too. Steve Buscemi plays the drunk guy in the beginning, maintaining his creepy guy persona.

My rating: 8 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment