Wednesday, April 16, 2014

04/16 (b): Clue

Finally---I get to write about one of my favorite movies of all-time! I wouldn't really put this in my Top 10, but its close enough. This was one of the first movies my family rented when we got our first VCR back in 1987. The movie was only 2 years old at the time, as it was slowly but surely developing its cult audience through video release. Clue was panned at the time, mostly because it was just a movie based on a board game. But, it seems that people in my generation (or for those in their 30s) this turned out to be close to a classic.

If you have played the board game, and I'm assuming at least 65% of Americans have, then you'll definitely be familiar with the characters, weapons and rooms. The plot goes a little something like this: Six strangers, most from Washington, DC, are all brought together by invitation to a house for unknown reasons, in the not-so feelgood '50s. It is later revealed by the butler, Wadsworth (Tim Curry), that they are being blackmailed. We see (what differs from the board game) the true characters of such ones like Mrs. Peacock and Mr. Green. One easy thing to forget is that all of the characters' names are aliases. In addition, most of the guests have at least ties to the US government and have 'baggage' on them. They are blackmailed by Mr. Boddy (who gives each guest a murder weapon), who is then murdered. Throughout the movie, more things happen as someone right after another as we learn more details about connections within people. This movie has three different endings, which I won't reveal!

I have watched this movie many times in my lifetime, and I'm 32. I just watched it last night as a matter of fact. Sure, when I first watched it at 6, I only knew half of what was going on. As I got older, I understood it more.  It was probably the characters or the all-star cast that grabbed me everytime. One other observation is that I do have a thing for movies with just one setting. Clue is set in only a gothic mansion (with cool secret passages!). I guess its just the fun and fast-pacedness of the movie that grabs me. And I'm glad I'm not alone. Sure, some people didn't think very highly of it in 1985. And who would, with such competition as '85 was a great year in cinema. There apparently is talks of a remake, but according to Wikipedia, those plans have been scrapped. I'm always skeptical with remakes as some haven't worked out for the best.

Highly recommended. I hope I explained it well enough. Sure to take you back to 1985. Maybe this will inspire you to play Clue again (laughs).....

My rating: 9 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment