Wednesday, May 7, 2014

05/07: The Happening

I was recommended this movie after a friend lent it to me a few years ago. He said it was weird...in a good way. I'm not sure how to agree with him.

WARNING: SPOILERS:
The plot is basically about a high school science teacher Elliot Moore (Mark Wahlberg) and his wife (Zooey Deschanel), who live in Philadelphia. Once they get word that some poisonous toxin in the air has plagued the East Coast, they flee West, but not too far. The toxins, believed to be a terrorist attack at first, contain something that makes people commit suicide instantly. We do witness much of it throughout the movie, sometimes involving the main characters.

What I was very disappointed about in the movie was: What was the solution? What happened that got Philly back to normal? And the cliffhanger? Whatever. It's no wonder this movie got terrible reviews, despite coming from M. Night Shyamalan. It's just that whenever I see a movie with a huge problem, I expect it to be resolved. But I know not all movies are like that; when they're not, expect bad results from me.

I actually thought the part where the guy killed himself with the lawn mower was humorous, in a way. And the old lady when she kills herself on her country land? Yeah, I thought that was a bit weird myself and unrealistic. That's before the movie suddenly takes a 3-month leap and doesn't explain itself. I'm not sure to take this movie seriously or not. Shyamalan actually said before its release that it was a 'B' movie.

Watch it if you're only up for weirdness, and a plot that seemingly went nowhere. There are some freakish 'happenings' in this movie, so be prepared. 

My rating: 3 out of 10
Tomatometer: 17%

No comments:

Post a Comment