Monday, May 5, 2014

05/05 (b): Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones

I'll never forget when it was first announced about the title back in, I believe, '01. In fact, I didn't take it seriously. That is, until I read all the complaints on message boards and such. But I'm sure Mr. Lucas had a good reason to call his 5th Star Wars film 'Attack of the Clones'. For me it was mostly about the journey of Anakin Skywalker and the continuation of his Jedi training.

That's the whole bulk of the movie right there, as we do see some great epic battles from start to finish. Even Yoda kicked ass! This is, up to that point, the best I've ever seen Yoda in a duel, against the film's antagonist, Count Dooku. To me, the clones were a bit boring, even though they were a big part of the story. And then there's the budding relationship between Anakin and Queen Amidala. Probably the climax comes with Anakin's personal loss.

I hope I didn't give away too much of the plot for those who still haven't seen this. But then again, some of it we see in the sequels, or confusingly, in the previous movies. Surprisingly, most of them consider this the 'worst' (with Episode I at a close second), but this one I didn't think was that bad. I believe it adds plenty of what we're supposed to know about the series and somehow Lucas put it all into one. We still don't have much of an idea of how Anakin becomes Darth Vader, which is supposed to be revealed in the next one. From what I know from hardcore fans that actually read the novels and such, it is revealed on what happens to the Queen and how Anakin turns to the Dark Side.

I'd say give this one the go, as well. If you're having a Star Wars marathon (I still have yet to do that, perhaps on 12/13/2015, two days before Episode 7 opens), this may seem to drag. Still a great movie though, and we are spared from Jar Jar Binks.

My rating: 7 out of 10
Tomatometer: 67%

No comments:

Post a Comment