Friday, May 2, 2014

05/02: Annie

It's a film that I've watched a couple times in my 80s childhood, but I hadn't watched it for several years until last year! Needless to say, it brought back several memories and I even forgot how it ended. Apparently when you get old, after a long hiatus of watching a movie, you tend to forget about it! Annie is one of those that is seemingly timeless.

Based on the comic strip Little Orphan Annie, the title character is portrayed by Aileen Quinn. She, of course, is an orphan who is struggling at the orphanage with all the other girls vs. Ms. Hannigan (Carol Burnett). Set in the 1930s Depression-era, times were very tough for most, except for millionaire Oliver Warbucks (Albert Finney). Sure, he's got all the money in the world, except family. To give more quality and value to his image, he takes Annie in at his mansion for a week, and makes him see his softer side.

I'm not sure how to judge the acting in this one, but I thought everyone portrayed their characters and dance/singing parts very well. Apparently, some of the actors including Quinn got bad judgments about their performances. I'm not usually one to side with the critics, so I'll give them that. Great story though, and it'll put you in a time warp!

It's great for another '80s flashback' although there are not many culture references, but 1930s nostalgia. Still a fun family movie, and one that could get people to hope. Talk to your children about orphanages and what they are there for.

And yes, I've already seen the preview for the upcoming remake that's due this late Fall, starring Jamie Foxx as Warbucks. Not sure how this one will go, but we shall see....

My rating: 7 out of 10
Tomatometer: 50%

No comments:

Post a Comment