Saturday, May 3, 2014

05/03: The Amazing Spider-Man

Just a year and a half ago this was the most I ever payed to see a movie at the theater. I saw it in 3-D and Imax. But it was cool to see it well-technified, I guess. Most people that the Spider-Man franchise was the fastest to ever get the 'starting over' treatment, especially 5 years after the disappointing Spider Man 3. Though it would have been great had the franchise continued on, who knows how it really would have ended. Rather than waste time, I guess mostly focus on the 'new' Spider-Man series. The second just opened yesterday. I do plan on seeing it real soon.

The movie starts from scratch, somewhat similar to the first Spider Man movie (2002) in how Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield) gets bit by the 'spider' and develops into 'Spider-Man'. The big difference is his love interest; this time around its Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone), whose father is the head of the big police department. Also, a different villain, the Lizard (Rhys Ifans), who mutated from Peter's mentor/hero Dr. Connors. It's basically a recycled but cool Superhero plot, with some variations here and there. Another subplot being used from the original series involves his uncle/guardian (Martin Sheen) being killed.

I've never read the original comic books, so I'm not sure if this is story was adapted from it. It wouldn't surprise me if it was though. I'd say this was put together real well. At the same time, I feel this was also missing something, but I don't know what. That's how I felt about Batman Begins. Some agreed with me on that. Great performances were put on by Sally Field (who plays Peter's aunt), Stone, and Garfield. It is easy to forget that Garfield is from England, and he always uses his British accent away from the camera.

I'd say this was a great reboot, and I expect bigger things to come with this new franchise. That way, this one will be remembered for generations. I trust that it will, given the fact that it got a jumpstart.

My rating: 7 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment